Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Bringing Baby Home

Hey y'all,
    So what a whirlwind being a parent has been! I write this as I wait for our precious girl who is now waking up from a nap so if it seems choppy or disoriented, I apologize but it may take me a couple naps to actually get through all the events from the past 7 months. Wow! Seven months has really gone by fast.
    I'll start where I left off in our last post. We came home from the hospital with a beautiful baby girl and a feeling of "now what?". Ricky had off for two weeks so all three of us just hung out in our bed for a couple days resting, cuddling and trying to figure out the breastfeeding thing. Meanwhile our amazing community came to our aid bringing us meal after meal of delicious, healthy food. It definitely took a load off of my mind for a couple of days. Our Evolet was a pretty good sleeper from the start and we considered ourselves blessed in that fact! Then reinforcements showed up to help us out.
    Nana, Ricky's grandmother, flew into Minot and we all went to pick her up. This would be our first outing as a family and boy, it was a bit of an adventure. Evolet looked so tiny in her car seat as we rolled her through Walmart and then back home. I have never felt so concerned about germs and other people in my entire life. Now I am not a germaphobe but I could just picture a giant germ in a mask come barreling down the aisle every time someone sneezed or even brushed against my shoulder. When we finally made it home, Sampson was extremely happy to have a non sleep deprived human to play with for a while. Then a few days later we did it again!
    We went out into the world to go to church and then the state fair. I had been bound and determined to go to the state fair but now looking back I wish we would have just stayed home. It wasn't so much the people it was just that I was a new mom of a six day old, yes you read that right a six day old, who had not even remotely gotten the handle on the breastfeeding situation. I was so not wanting to be that woman who let having a baby stop her from life....hinds sight 20/20 I should have let Nana mother me more, slept a lot more and not pushed myself to go out when I really wasn't ready and maybe I wouldn't have become a momzilla. Clearly I have things to remember for next time, haha. So we decided to hang out around the house after that very long day.
    Then our wonderful photographer and friend Amy Smith came to take our newborn pictures. Evolet pretty much slept through the entire session but we didn't mind because it made her so much easier to pose! And oh boy did we like to pose her. lol Sam of course had to get in on the fun after all he pretty much claimed Evolet as his baby since day one. She is such a sweet blessing for all of us. I have truly enjoyed building our lives together as mommy and daughter. She certainly has a big fan in her super daddy too.
    So after Ricky went back to work and then Nana left, which left me, myself and I with a baby. I had three weeks of mom duty under my belt but up until then I had help! I was absolutely petrified about the day after Nana left because it meant I was all alone with my very little baby girl. Day one passed by and the days after that just got better and better. Each outing became easier as did each passing day. Finally breastfeeding was becoming second nature. It seemed to be all I did for a while but I would go through the pain, tears and struggle a hundred times over knowing the bond that I have with my sweet girl now.Within a few weeks the fear was gone and I became a confident, if not frazzled at times, happy mommy of a beautiful little girl. I do not worry about other people's opinions, or parenting advice. Do I listen? Sure, but I take it with a grain of salt because the simple fact of the matter is that Evolet is our daughter, given to US to take care of. So in reality, other people can have their say, but in the end we are responsible for her well-being in all aspects of life. She is a happy, healthy, loving beautiful little lady so I would say we are doing pretty good so far. One day I will get Ricky to sit down with some of his feelings and let you know his thoughts about this time but for now I will just keep posting. Like I said, I have seven months to catch up on. So hold on to your boots!
      Love,
 Lauren

"For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13


No comments:

Post a Comment