Sunday, January 19, 2014

Welcome to the world, Evolet!

Hey Y'all,
     So it has been quite some time since the last time we posted anything so forgive us if anything gets left out.  I am going to break this up into a couple of different posts so that I can try to cover everything.The biggest thing since our last update is Evolet is here!!!!!

     On July 11, 2013 our precious little girl made her way into the world. That week at my weekly doctors appointment I had made the decision to induce if she was not here by her due date a week later. As soon as I did I regretted the notion and began to wonder if maybe I should call and cancel. We had talked so often about just letting Evolet come on her own. So I tossed and turned that night wondering about what I should do. Looking back I wish I wouldn't have worried about it so much since she came on her own anyway. The next day I went to have a much needed mani/pedi, especially since our little bit was going to arrive any day. That night I started to feel a little off. I was achy and just feeling all over uncomfortable but I figured it was just from not being able to get fully comfortable while sleeping and too long of a walk earlier that day. This same feeling followed me throughout the next day causing me to go to bed early. Little did I know that my body was in the early stages of labor! It was probably a good thing, otherwise I would have certainly been jumping at every small sign. The next morning at 5 o'clock in the morning I felt a small twinge from my back to my front which woke me up. I thought nothing of it until it happened again about thirty minutes later. At around 6 o'clock I sat up in bed and told Ricky that I thought I was having contractions. He opened his eyes and asked "Do I need to get up?" I told him no and went downstairs to play on the computer. Ricky got up as if it were any other morning and we went about the day. He went to work and I just rested around the house and answered some emails while the twinges still came and went. Around noon Ricky text me asking how things were and if I wanted to go to a chili cookoff for lunch. So off I went in labor to eat chili! This was certainly not how I pictured labor especially after hearing so many horror stories and seeing so many movies that told me just the opposite. I was still not convinced that I was truly in labor.

    So at the chili cook off I was looked at like I was ready to explode by some of our friends but I returned home and Ricky to work. Around 3pm I texted Ricky to let him know that the contractions had gotten to the point that they were about 3-4 minutes apart and I was going to call the doctor. I still was not convinced that this was it. They were intensifying to where I needed to breathe lightly through them but I could carry on a conversation with little problem. During the ride to the hospital I was trying to tell myself that this couldn't be it and that we were going to be sent home. Walking into the hospital and to the maternity ward desk and then to our room, I was put into a gown and hooked up to a bunch of machines. I loved hearing my little girl's heartbeat on the monitor! I was at 5 cm at that point. We laughed and joked and waited for the nurse to tell us she was admitting us, then the phone calls began. Through two very excited teary soon-to-be grandmas we spread the news that our little one was on her way.

    So the waiting began. We walked while they prepared another room for us still feeling good with little pain with each contraction. I was progressing fine on my own but we decided to move things along so my doctor broke my water. The harder labor had begun. Laying down was not comfortable,so I got up and we swayed together, Ricky reminding me to breathe and helping laugh as the contractions intensified. I truly could not have done it with out him. He was my rock. I was wearing out quickly and no other position was comfortable for me so I finally asked for the epidural. By the time I received it I was 8 cm and exhausted. Within minutes I was able to sleep for a little while and Ricky was able to read. The next thing I knew the nurses were saying it was time to start pushing. Ricky held one of my legs and the other nurse held the other. Between contractions I caught a few minutes of "The Golden Girls" because it was the only thing on that late at night and I thought it was ironic that my grandmother was probably watching the same thing. Forty five minutes later at 11:57 pm on Thursday, July 11, 2013 our precious girl was set on my chest. She was here! I still remember saying "Hello, sweet girl." Then I looked at my doctor and asked him, "She is a girl, right?" To which he said yes. It went by so quickly. As they cleaned her up I waited to hold her again. Ricky went to the nursery with her where they quickly bonded with each other. After what seemed like forever we were reunited and have been practically inseparable ever since.
               Life has been one big ball of craziness with learning each other's ways but it has been beautiful. In a matter of a minutes she stole our hearts and she continues to do so to this day with every smile and even every cry. She is the best of us and we are so excited to start this new chapter in our lives. The love that we feel for her is so immensely overwhelming and somewhat crippling in the fact that knowing our Father's love for us is even more pure and all consuming that it was hard to understand that kind of love until now. Truly, being parents has taught us so much and will continue to do so, but I believe it has taught us the most important thing. It has taught us how to love.  










     Love,
Ricky, Lauren, and Evolet

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment